Friday, October 8, 2010

Endhiran.

So excited was I to watch this latest Rajnikanth flick that we booked the tickets earlier. I put on my newly bought dress, prepared to meet a wide Tamil audience and clap away to glory.

But the cineworld at Stockport Screen no. 4 was just 1/3rd full. I thought I didn't have company to whistle. But thank God....the small bunch who were there hooted and whistled when "Superstar Rajni" was written on the screen.

The warming up was done. I kept waiting for the next opportunity to shout.... a Rajnikanth entry...a punch dialogue.... a slow motion walk... dust flying all around when Rajni stamps on the ground. Nothing happened. The wait just extended for a good 176 mins.

The film just happened during this wait....rahman songs picturised in a shankar way.....stunts...fights.... this and that. But that moment just didn't arrive.

"Kaadhal anukkal" seemed to be the most boring love song ever. I agree the song went with Mr.Vaseegaran's character. But why do you look for logic in unnecessary places?

As usual, the tamil inclination for false female morality bugged me. The poor (financially) girl was taking bath in a bath-tub. The building was on fire...yet she didn't have the common sense to wear something over her and try to escape. And when poor Chitti (not financially) managed to rescue her, all she could think of was that she was naked. Chitti was right in saying "She's alive". I don't think I would mind coming out naked if my life was at stake.

A 200 crore magnum opus....Endhiran.

The positive reviews say it's a Shankar film and he used the actor in Rajnikanth. But then why market it as a Rajnikanth film? True there were zillion Rajnikanths all around.....still we missed him.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed the film for its double meanings though....through out the film a purpose-full anti-hollywood tackiness which thrilled me. A purposeful sense of anti-logic be it the handmade gun,or happy Diwali folks or the cultural reference to Kali or the Snake formation. Things that hollywood can never imagine of....cow in the electric train track, stamping on a person about to spit, a huge robot leaning against a building like rajnikanth, transistors turn to butterflies, mosquito mode in the robot. A weird sense of cinema.......I dunno most hollywood robot films are based on books which are based on technology of future or the past but this is one piece of 'nonsense filmmaking he he'. I dunno if all this in the film is intentional but it was weirdly disturbing when he said 'love makes humans a robot and robots a human.'
    I agree with you when it comes to issues of morality and the concept of love happening when the robot became a man in the 'true' sense of it. I have to disagree to lots of hollywood fans who said the films graphics is bad, logic is bad as in this film no one tried to make it logical or real or appealing it enough to tell us that this is what happens he he.......and exactly why should an imaginary robot in a fantasy film obey Asimovs law anyways.
    Yes again I agree with u when it comes to the songs they were sadly pictured....although i liked the way aishwarya rai multiplied in the end of arima arima....Technically again everything looks purposefully tacky be it the cinematography or the edit or the sound......and lots of plastic rajinikanths every where he he........

    I think even when Rajinikanth dies people will make films with him.....

    ReplyDelete